Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Letter to Brian's NEW Teacher

A little history first...

Friday afternoon I was called to the principal's office and told that due to the population of Brian's class being louder than a typical first grade classroom, it had been decided that he had not been placed in the best education environment for him.  I was angry, hurt, shocked...but my emotions don't really matter here.  What matters is what's best for Brian.  And through the tears and boiling blood, Shawn and I made the decision to allow him to be transferred to another first grade homeroom.  In our experience, it's best to just rip off the band-aid, so this change will occur tomorrow morning. 

Brian was very sad when we told him.  He cried and fought it, just like we did.  But today has been better.  He seems okay with the decision.  I am hoping by tomorrow afternoon, or maybe midweek, he will even be a little excited.

This is not making this huge change to all day school any easier on this mama.  And so....

Dear Mrs. Elkus,

This is a very different letter than the one I wrote to Mrs. Holtzapple a little over a week ago.  We had a history with her and with you, we don't.  You don't know that my Brian has been through SO MUCH in his life and how very much he has overcome.  You don't know that my Brian barely spoke when he was small.  You don't know my mama heart and that I left my job that I LOVED to be the mama I need to be for my Brian.  Or that my mama heart broke in two when he was diagnosed with hearing loss and has healed little by little by watching him become the amazing young man who will enter your classroom.  You also don't know that my Brian is extremely artistic and has a little engineer/builder mind.  Or that he is extremely sensitive and compassionate.  You don't know that he can be a little shy, but has a TON to say and a MILLION questions to ask.  You don't know that his best friend in the world is an impish red head and that he's the best big brother on the planet.  You also don't know that I was told at his preschool interview that there was little hope he would ever "catch up."  And that he has.  Actually, he's exceeded all expectations from that, our first introduction to public school. 

But you will.  I know you will because your reputation precedes you.  I chose YOU to be the teacher to help him make this transition because I know you are the same kind of teacher I am.  You are loving, but firm.  You expect excellence.  Your students excel.  And you understand that your job is to be a guiding hand.  I have every faith that you too will exceed my expectations.  I am counting on it. 

Please help my Brian to adjust to this huge change.  Please know that while he is different, he doesn't see himself that way.  He has been taught to march to the beat of his own drum and to own it.  He was been taught not to be embarrassed by his disability, but to embrace it.  We want him to continue to be proud of who he is.  We want him continue to excel in his studies.  We want him to make new friends and not be afraid to jump in.  We are counting on you to help him along the way.  We are entrusting our baby boy into your care. 

Sincerely,
Maria

No comments: