Sunday, February 7, 2016

Something I Don't Want to Forget

I don't think I'll ever forget this Brian story, but just in case, I thought I'd better write it down. 

When Dad died, Brian was pretty quiet about it as he is with most things.  He did ask me to drive him to soccer that night, so I knew he was ready to talk.  On the way to soccer, he said,

"Mom, I know Pappy's spirit has gone to heaven, but what about his body?"

Me: "Well, buddy, they are going to put it in a box, a coffin, like they did when Grandpa Frank died, and they'll bring it to his funeral at the church."

B: "Oh.  But what about after?"

Me: "After the funeral, they'll bury his body in the coffin."

B: "But why?  Why can't they just bring him home?"

Up until this point I thought I had done a pretty good job of explaining death to my kids. 

Me: "Ummm....don't you think that would be a little weird?  Like having his body at Nana's house, but not his spirit?  We couldn't really hug him or talk to him...."

After a long pause....

B: "But Uncle Billy has all those deer heads on his wall!"

SERIOUSLY!?  Well that about sums up Brian's understanding of death at 7.  In a neat little package.  With a bow

Me: "Yeah, buddy, it's not really the same.  It would be really creepy to have a human head on the wall.  The deer heads are creepy enough."

B: "Okay." 



Yep, I never want to forget that one.

No comments: