Tuesday, June 23, 2009

June 24, 2009



Dear Brian Thomas,

My baby boy, as I look back on the past year, I am overwhelmed with emotion. You may have noticed as I have cried every night this week while I rocked you to sleep. Sorry buddy, that's just Mommy. You'll get used to it...

There are so many moments that were a part of your first year, and I can't possibly note them all. Here are some of the big ones...

I remember the day you were born. I never expected such a full waiting room. And wait they did. You were stubborn from day one, child. Mommy and Daddy were so happy when you finally arrived. You were so cute and little. We all know, the little didn't last long!

I remember your early visits to Dr. Price. You doubled your birth weight in record time! You ate A LOT in those first weeks of life!

I remember when you first smiled. You weren't old enough to smile. But what do they know? You've always been a happy boy. You couldn't keep from smiling.

I remember your Baptism. What a beautiful day. You wore your Daddy's Baptismal suit. Auntie Lauren and Uncle Jon were so proud to be your godparents. And what a crowd we had! You are one popular baby.

I remember your "firsts." Your first cereal and first solids. You weren't really a fan of either at first. You learned to love them. Your first rolling adventures, and when you first sat up...right around Christmas time. Your first Christmas was such a blessed time for our whole family. You made everything so much more meaningful just by being you.

I remember you saying Mama for the first time. And then doggie. And FINALLY Dada! You really made him wait for that one. Stubborn child that you are :)

I remember when you started to crawl. We were so excited! If we could just keep you still now, we'd really have it made. The stairs, dog food and toilet happen to be your favorites, Brian Thomas. Don't think I won't tell your future girl friends all about this!

I remember the lazy days we spent together. Lots of lazy days. Mommy naps have been a big thing this past year. I will never, ever forget the comfort I feel when you are napping on my shoulder.

There is so much more. Mostly, Brian, I remember realizing the day you were born, that the kind of love I feel for you, my baby, is absolutely indescribable. You have made every day of this past year better than it could have possibly ever been without you. Your smile, your personality, your sweetness, and your unconditional love are everything a mommy could ask for.

It's been one great year, little monkey. Here's to many more. Happy Birthday, Brian Thomas.

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

Whit Scheff said...

Sorry I have been running around with my head chopped off since I got to Sydney! The time passed me by, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN! Glad it was a good first. I want some cake :(