Saturday, September 12, 2009

"I just picked up the poop, put it in the bag, and went inside with the pirate."

The title of this blog is a sentence I actually said yesterday. In my real life.

Let me start at the beginning. Today is Shawn's 30th Birthday. For his big day, Mom decided to hire a signing pirate to serenade him at his office yesterday. After days of thought I decided that I needed to be present for this event. My first thought was that I would be safer across the state line in Kentucky-in case I needed to run. However, I felt it was necessary to get it all on video for posterity sake. After all, Brian won't remember this. Plus I figured if I had it on video, and Shawn did decide to kill me, there would at least be undeniable evidence.

The pirate called me yesterday (as I was rushing home from school) in hopes of finding better directions that Map Quest had offered him. He called the wrong girl! Thus we decided to meet up just off the exit, and he would follow me to Shawn's work. Fast forward to our arrival at Pyramid Controls where I decided it would best to change Brian's diaper before loading him into his parrot costume. Unfortunately I had no idea he had pooped until I heard "plunk, plunk, plunk" down the side of my car. Ew! What's a girl to do? I picked up the poop, put it in the bag, and went inside with the pirate.

Inside. Where Shawn's co-worker Doug, my ally in this, was waiting patiently. The pirate disappeared into the bathroom to make some last minute costume adjustments, while we conspired with Shawn's boss. He decided to go talk to Shawn in his cube so that Shawn would not leave and ruin the surprise.

Once the pirate was ready, we made the trek down the hall to Shawn's cube. The pirate proceeded to embarrass the heck out of Shawn, while about 25 co-workers enjoyed the entertainment. It was fantastic! He had a whole speech prepared about how he wanted Shawn to join the pirate ship. He gave Shawn balloons, a special pirate hat (a Sponge Bob birthday hat), and even got Shawn to join him in song. After they finished the pirate song, we all sang "Happy Birthday." Pictures are below.

No comments: