Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Tornado, the Missed Flight and the Tubes

Over the weekend we went to my grandmother's 90th birthday party in Cape. We made a last minute decision to make the trip and decided it would be best for Mom and I to fly with the kids. When we booked the trip a week out we had no idea that the weather forecast would change so drastically in a week's time. By Thursday night we were more than a little nervous about the severe weather coming our way, but we figured we would just make it work.

Friday when the tornadoes hit the area we were in the last row of an airplane and were forced to evacuate back into the airport tunnels. Let me tell you, it was an adventure. I had the foresight to make Brian pee before we left the plane, knowing there were no bathrooms in the tunnels. After sitting in the tunnel for over an hour with 3000 people (give or take), we finally boarded our plane and were off to St. Louis.

The kids did really well until we were asked to buckle up and prepare for landing. Brian had an absolute fit and laid in the floor screaming. It was a joy, let me tell ya!

Once we finally got into St. Louis we were toast, so we got our rental, headed down the road a ways and then found a nice hotel to stay the night in.

The party and family visit were very nice. I will post more about that later when I get picture uploaded and I steal some from Teri!

The trip back was not so very nice. We missed our flight. It was a nightmare. I cannot even talk about it really. We ended up making the decision to drive back home because the kids had ENT appointments at 10a.m. Monday morning. I knew it would be hell, but I also knew both kids needed tubes and if we missed the appointment, that would only delay them getting the tubes.

We made it back without too much trouble. We were very tired, but okay. I was right about the tubes, and now I am just waiting on Children's to call me with the date and time. We have asked that they both have the surgery on the same day. It will be a long day, but better than two very long days! Brian will also have that ABR the audiologist has been pushing me to do while he's out. I will post the surgery dates when I have them!

No comments: