Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Pumpkin Patch

When I booked the preschool for a field trip to the Pumpkin Patch, I never imagined it would be the one that I went to with my grandma a few years back. It didn't even cross my mind. But when we pulled into the long drive that leads to Daniel's Farm, I knew that I had been there before. Such a strange day that was. Grandma insisted that we go and even though I knew it was for the little kids, I went along with it. Looking back I realize Grandma was very much like a little kid. The joy that she took from petting and feeding the animals that day, and from the bumpy hayride out into the pumpkin field was quite similar to the joy I saw in Brian's eyes the past two days while we visited the farm. And while I know mental illness was the reason for her joy in some warped way, it made me happy to think that she was able to be so child like in a good way from time to time.

Fast forward to the past two days and our visits to the Pumpkin Patch. I am so grateful first of all that Brian and I were well enough to go on the trips and that the weather was so incredibly beautiful both days. I am even more grateful that Mom, Shawn and Bibber got to experience the Pumpkin Patch with Brian. His excitement is infectious and I am glad these three got to be a part of the fun. It was also fun to watch them all see how much a part of the Preschool Brian has become. He truly believes he is a part of the group. And the kids treat him as such. And I wouldn't be a good Preschool Director if I didn't brag about how WONDERFUL the kids were both days! We got many, many compliments from the "farmers" on our awesome students!

Today it was especially fun to see Brian at the Pumpkin Patch with his pal Bradley. Bradley is the younger brother of one of our 3 year olds. He has spina bifida and he is truly an inspiration to me. He and Brian clicked from day one and they had a ball together today!

Here are some pictures from the past two days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maria just wanted you to know how much Frank and I enjoyed reading about Pat. You had it down so good. She was like that. She had a child-like streak in her that was fun.

From Frank & Ruth Moreland