Sunday, January 17, 2010

Trains

We live by the train tracks. Not so close that it's annoying, but close enough that the sound of a train makes me feel like I'm at home, even when I'm not. Our location is perfect for Brian and his new found love of trains! Crossing the tracks used to be SUCH A PAIN when a train was en route. I would do anything possible to avoid them. Now days I find myself intentionally getting "stuck" by a train so I can enjoy watching Brian watch it go by!

I remember not too long ago when Brian was first born. I had him outside so we could enjoy a little bit of sunshine. A train came through and I found myself in a sudden fit of tears. It struck me that Brian might not ever hear a train. This, as I said, was back when he was a newborn and we didn't know the severity of his hearing loss.

This morning as we were enjoying our breakfast, a train passed through. And I cried tears of joy. My baby boy heard it. He not only heard it, he recognized it as a train, and threw a fit to go "OUT" so he could see it. We didn't go out, because you can't see the trains from our house. And I resisted the urge to stick him in the car and drive up to where he could see it. But I did take the time to bask in the moment. That loud "choo-choo"...what a wonderful sound!

No comments: