Monday, February 27, 2012

Winter Be GONE!

Okay, we haven't really had a winter as previously noted. No real snow to speak of. What we have had are short stints of really cold weather, followed by a few days here and there of unseasonably warm weather, tossed in with some cold, but not really that cold days and some rain and some sorry excuses for snow days.

Do you know what that creates?

Germs.

Germs that will NOT go away.

My babies are sick again. Brian has croup and Lilah is a snotty, crusty mess with ANOTHER double ear infection.

Yesterday Shawn, Nana and Teri took Brian to the after hours clinic at our doctor's office while Lilah and I went to the preschool open house. The doc (not our normal doc) said he had croup (which I knew from having heard his cough and breathing the previous night) and that his left ear was red. He sent them home with a prescription for an antibiotic and a prescription for a steroid.

We got about 1/4 of the steroid dose down him yesterday afternoon and a little bit more of the antibiotic. He literally spit the steroid at me-some of it landing in my eye! (I wonder if it will improve my vision??) Anyway, last night, I knew the meds were going to be a fight. Shawn was at work, so Mom was here for bedtime. We tried the antibiotic once. He spit it out. He gagged. Major resistance.

We tried a second time. I swear to you it was like a scene from the exorcist. It always is when Brian makes up his mind that he's going to puke. He literally expels every.single.thing. from his body. It was everywhere. We called Pappy for back up.

After the very, very disgusting clean up, Mom and I made the decision that I would take him back to the doctor today and beg for a shot. No way were we going through that again. And certainly not 18 more times for the 10 day, twice a day antibiotic regime to be completed.

Mom got Brian to bed while I got laundry going and Pappy entertained Lilah. Shawn got home. I started to work on getting Lilah to sleep. She gagged while nursing. And then it was her turn to puke. Oh how I love puke!

I took my second shower of the night and changed my pjs again. Lilah finally went down about 10:15.

This morning we were lucky enough to get appointments back to back! I asked everyone there what they charge for room and board. I feel like we have been there SO MUCH this winter!

As it turns out Brian's ear was fine. Dr. Price offered him a one time oral steroid for the croup. I had my doubts, but I figured it was worth it to try to avoid the shot. Shawn offered him a new Angry Birds game on the I Pad if he took it. So he did. He cried and spit afterwards, but it was already down his throat, thank goodness, so no puke and no shot for Brian!

Poor Lilah had to get a shot though. And she has a one time antibiotic to follow that later today. We had already a cancelled her ENT appointment because her ears were clear last week. Luckily though, we got her in for a week from today. Poor baby!

No comments: