Monday, October 7, 2013

Writer of the Week

This is long overdue, but I waited and waited to get a picture of Brian's writing on the official "Writer of the Week" bulletin board to no avail.  It turns out that they post these and then after the week is over, they send home the award.  I didn't know to look.  Bad mama! Next year I will be smarter.

Anyway, Brian was SO PROUD to come home and tell me he got the "writer of the week" award.



He is doing so well in school and we couldn't be more proud!  He seems to be in the top reading group as he is already coming home books to "read," sight words and four letter "spelling" words.  He knows 12 of the 14 sight words on his first sheet, so I believe he will get a new sheet by the end of the week.  His progress report that came home today said "Meets Expectations" for all categories and he has gotten all of his spelling words right on two two "tests" they have had this year.  He is rockin' his math workbook and got awesome scores on his MAPS test (used to guide curriculum) in Math.  It's so exciting to see!

Now, his behavior could be better.  He has had to move his clip to yellow twice so far this school year, which disappoints me.  I talked to another mom and she said that yellow is just a warning and I shouldn't worry too much about it, so I am trying not to.  Both times it's been for talking too much, which my mom makes sure to remind me, I got that a lot in school too, so...maybe he comes by it honestly?  And really we've spent a TON of time, money, and effort on speech therapy for this kid, so really, it's a kind of confusing to tell him NOT to talk!

Here's to hoping that the rest of the year goes well!

No comments: