Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Family

We have always lived away from our family because our immediate family moved away from "home" before I was born.  It's hard being away because for many family members the road only travels one direction and those who move away are expected to come "home" way more than the family who lives at "home" visits.  We spent all of our holidays as kids making a 6-7 hour trip to be with family. 

As we got older, and more involved in activities those trips happened less.  In the past few years, we have been down to maybe a visit or two a year...often times those visits happen when there is a big occasion like a wedding, or a big birthday, or a funeral. 

When Dad passed away the calls started flooding in from family.  Cousins I rarely talk to...not because I don't want to, but because life just keeps us from it...started calling like crazy.  As a means of helping my kids make it through I explained the funeral to them as a "big party" to celebrate Pappy's life.  And really?  That's what it should be.

I told them that cousins they had never met would be coming to see them and that family that we rarely see would be here to visit too.  They were very sad, don't get me wrong, but they were also excited to see everyone.  There is a special bond between cousins, even cousins who have never met.  Playing with cousins with easy.  Even as an adult I find a special comfort in talking to cousins...even ones I don't see very often.

It felt strange documenting my kids' time with their cousins given the circumstances, but knowing that they may not see them again for a long time, I chose to embrace the time they had with each other as best i could.  Here are some pictures from this time we all had together.

Patrick had a HUGE blow out the night Dad passed away.  We had to document his bath in Nana's sink!

Lots of baby snuggles.

Our cousin Andrew is great with the kids!


The Arkansas cousins decided to "help" Brian tie his shoes.


Patrick with Great Aunt Beth.



Instantly best friends forever. 

No comments: