Thursday, January 29, 2009

Top 10

I'm in a bummer of a mood tonight and having a hard time sleeping, so I thought I would try to turn my mood around, by thinking of things that make me happy. That said, here are the top 10 things I love about Brian Thomas.

10. His smile. This is a given. Have you seen the child? He's always smiling. He can't help himself. And anyone near him who sees his killer smile is powerless. They have to give in and smile right back at him.

9. His big, huge, blue eyes. They're his Dad's eyes, so of course I'm going to love them. Just like Shawn's I've had more opportunity than anyone to gaze into Brian's eyes. It's like seeing an entire solar system when you look into them. They are so detailed and so deep. I LOVE his eyes!

8. He's silly and because he's silly I get to be silly too. I sing all day long now. Not because I am good at it, but because Brian's loves it. I dance all day too, he loves to dance around and to watch me dance around like an idiot. My favorite is our own special peek-a-boo. I don't even have to cover my face or leave the room. I just have to look around and pretend I can't find him. He thinks it's the best game ever. Silly.

7. His excitement for life and for learning. He actually slaps his entire arm on his leg, my leg, the table...whatever is closest, just because he's excited. He investigates EVERYTHING. He just wants to know all that he can and is thrilled in doing so.

6. He reaches for me. He knows I'm his and he reaches out to come to me. He can make coming into a room feel like walking down a red carpet simply because he wants me to hold him!

5. He gives people purpose and makes everything more special. Granddad has his Grocery Tuesdays. It's what he talks about all week long. The whole family felt it at Christmas. Brian just makes everything better.

4. He made me want to quit something I love...teaching...to stay at home. He helped me to slow down and enjoy every moment. No one could have told me that I would quit my job and put my career on hold and made me believe it. He made me see that there are some things in life worth putting your plans on hold for.

3. He's always happy. Sure, he has his moments, but generally speaking, he's a happy kid. He thinks everyone should pay attention to him at all times, and he knows how truly entertaining he is. He finds happiness in making everyone else happy. Isn't that how we should all be?

2. He has no understanding of social graces. He farts, burps, even pushes out a poo complete with grunting and a red face and has no concept that these things are "socially unacceptable." He doesn't' understand embarrassment and he doesn't care what anyone thinks.

1. His laugh. He can giggle and shriek like nobody's business. It's infectious. Everyone should have the experience of hearing Brian Thomas laugh. It can make your whole day. Even when you're in a bummed out mood :)

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Let me just go ahead and put out there that just as Brian gets #9 from his dad, he may also get #2.

;)

The thing I love about having Brian around is how much he brings all of us together, so much more often. And I love that I'm here in town to be able to experience this time with you all.

Janet Pemberton said...

I had no idea that you were dealing with the helmet thing. Thank goodness Brian is easy going. You are quickley becoming an experienced parent and your experiences will help other parents feeling upset because you (Brian and Shawn) will make it with flying colors.
Thank God for health insurance.
I'm glad you are doing this blog.

Dvettegirl71 said...

I fully agree on all of the aforementioned favorites:) My favorite things about my godson are:

1. He makes me forget about everything that is going on with me and start focusing on him instead!

2. (and most importantly) He has convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I want one of my own someday!

Rosana said...

As is true in a lot of families, you lose one life and gain another. Brian has made an otherwise unbearable loss tolerable. As anyone close to us knows, Nanna is totally head over heals and must have her daily dose of the joy Brian brings us, even sometimes by skypeing. Thank you Maria & Shawn for the precious gift of Brian.