Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our First Trip to the ER...Kind of

He's all boy, so we knew it was going to happen eventually, right? Break something, require stitches, do something to himself that would send us rushing the hospital. Well, today, it did. Except we didn't go to the ER. We ended up going to see a plastic surgeon, Dr. Robinson. He's the best and happens to be a family friend, so we felt that it would be best to get Brian's first stitches from him. It helps to have a Nana in the medical field :)

Yep, that's right, Brian got his first stitches today. On his face. Three to be exact. In three separate places. My parents' very old, practically deaf and blind dog bit him. In the face. It was a bad day, but we all know accidents happen. We were honestly surprised it wasn't Ruben who took the first chunk out of him. Brian loves dogs a little too much!

Dr. Robinson thinks he will have very little scarring if any. He said the only thing we might notice once he's healed is a little blemish on his cheek. We have to keep him out of the sun all summer which means Brian is going to have to learn to love hats and zinc oxide! He's also on an antibiotic and we have to keep Neosporin and eventually Vitamin E cream on the wounds. The stitches will come out Thursday or Friday.

We made sure he pet Jackie before we even went to see the doctor. We don't want him to be afraid of dogs, although you can be sure he won't be spending time around Jackie any more.

Brian did well at the doctor's office. He screamed and cried as any baby would when Dr. Robinson gave him a local and stitched him up. But he did manage to give the doctor a smile before we left for home. Such a good boy :)

Below are some pictures of the damage. I think the logo on his shirt says it all!

3 comments:

Taryn said...

Poor guy! Been there done that...not too long ago too :) I can't quite believe Ethan made it until a few months shy of 2 years old until he had his first stitches! Hope he isn't too afraid of dogs now. Take care!

Whit Scheff said...

OH GOD MARIA! I'm sorry that happened, but yes he is a boy. It scared me when I got the e-mail because all I saw was E.R. I can't believe I haven't gone to the E.R. yet here, that's a miracle. I hope everything is ok and damn that dog. Nestle would have done the same thing in his old age. He bit me in the nostril once...it hurt. Anyway, I love you guys. Keep me updated.

helicopter uav said...

I didn't realize I had put his "Tough Guy" shirt on. I guess it fits his good disposition in spite of being bit by a dog.