Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Get Daddy"

Brian has been having some Daddy issues lately. He's kind of jealous of Shawn (in that Shawn takes some my my attention away from him). And he LOVES me. It was cute at first, but after awhile, I started to feel bad for Shawn. As an example, Brian has been "blaming" Shawn for everything. It could be as simple as Brian tripping over his own feet, and if Shawn happens to be near by, Brian will burst into tears, point at Shawn, and bawl, "Daaaadaaa." As in, Daddy did it. Poor Shawn.

The worst was at a restaurant last week. Brian was trying to drink water from a straw. He doesn't quite get the idea that he does not need to tip the cup when doing this and as a result, he was making a big mess. Shawn took the cup away, poured most of the water into his own cup, and handed Brian's cup back to him. Instant tears. Instant pointing and bawling, "Daaaadaaaa." If you aren't Shawn, it was pretty funny. But poor Shawn, who did laugh about it, bless his heart, had to be hurt a little. Not to mention it was embarrassing to have your child blaming you in public like that! The only way we were able to get the tears to stop was for Shawn to put the water BACK in Brian's cup.

Other examples of these Daddy issues are that Brian won't let Shawn feed him if I am anywhere close by. It has to be me. The same with reading books. Shawn will be mid-sentence, and Brian will walk away with the book to find me.

We're working on it though. Yesterday Brian insisted that we call Daddy at work. So we did. And Brian walked around the house babbling to Shawn for about 10 minutes. It was too cute. And Shawn was pleased.

Then, last night, we were having a tickle session and I said to Brian, "get Daddy." And he turned to Shawn and tried to "tickle" him. Of course, I had to tickle Shawn too, which meant he was really being tickled, which made him (Shawn laugh really hard). Brian thought this was hysterical! All night he kept saying "get dada." He did it again tonight too. Shawn doesn't love being tickled, but even so, I think he was pleased with the positive attention from his baby boy.

Just another phase to work through. I know my time is coming. Someday too soon Mommy kisses will be gross and Daddy will be the coolest guy ever!

No comments: