Monday, April 16, 2012

Before My Eyes

Brian has turned many corners recently right before my eyes. It's especially nice when someone who doesn't see him often makes a comment about his speech or his behavior - and how much both have improved. It gives me perspective and helps me to see how far he's come.

His speech therapist, Kathy, couldn't more thrilled with the progress he's making. She says she doesn't even want to comment on the things he's not picked up on yet, since she knows where he has been. It occurred to me the other day that she didn't even know what Brian's "monkey speak" was since it's been so long since he's done that. You know, when he used to pretend he was Curious George and used "oo-oo, ah-ah" for every word? Kathy has only been his therapist since December, so she never heard it!

I remember thinking last December that all I really wanted was to have a conversation with Brian. I was just desperate to really be able to talk him. I can do that now. They aren't always the most enlightening or lengthy chats, but they are in fact, conversations. It's so exciting to hear him shout from the back seat of the car, "Mama! Look, it's a tractor!" He is noticing so much more about his world than he used to. Or at least now he has the communication skills to tell me all about what he's noticing.

Brian even got into trouble last week at school for talking! Something we never thought would happen. His teacher said she was shocked when she realized it was Brian making all that chatter.

One thing that his speech therapy has certainly improved is his arguing skills. If I say, "Brian, we're going to the doctor today." He'll reply with something like, "No go to the doctor. The doctor is closed!" I'll say back, "No bud, I am pretty sure they are open." And he'll say, "No, not open, doctor is closed. Let's go to the animal zoo." Most days this is hilarious. Most days.

OT has been a tremendous help to Brian as well. He ate a HOTDOG at OT last week. It was the most meat he had ever eaten IN HIS LIFE. He continued the trend by sampling a burger and some chicken that night and has eaten a hotdog almost everyday since. He is also eating small bites of apples now. Emily, the OT even got him to pedal his bike last week. He was so proud!

Potty training (knock on wood) seems to be a success for the most part, finally. Even #2, which is so nice!! I was getting really tired of cleaning up that mess. He is very proud of this accomplishment as well.

It's just nice to see him taking pride in himself.

I started using a picture chart like Brian uses at speech therapy and at school. It's just a bunch of picture cards with velcro on them that we attach to a line of velcro so he knows the schedule for the day. When we finish a task, he moves it to another strip of velcro which represents "all done." I started using it over spring break just to see how he would react to it. My plan was to try it for a week and bring it back for summer. I didn't count on him absolutely loving it! I've had to add a few pictures to accommodate our current schedule-school, swimming, soccer- because Brian requires me to fill the picture chart every single day. Like I said he loves it and I think it's because it helps him prepare for the next thing. We usually have big melt downs with every transition, and not so much with the schedule. He loves getting to move each piece to "all done" and thus, he's ready to move on when I say it's time. It's been wonderful!

As mentioned above, we started soccer and swim lessons last week too. Soccer was not the best, but it could have been (and 6 months ago would have been) much worse. He's definitely the kid who is distracted by all the grass and dirt. He doesn't follow all directions given by the coach. BUT he stayed on his field (there were 4 others he could have run to, not to mention a playground). He kicked the ball some. He ran with the other kids mostly. He had fun. And thankfully, his coach is one of our best friend's brothers. And he is an incredibly patient man. Thank God.

Swim lessons were a success! Brian impressed the instructor and me with his skills and attention to detail. I was so happy to see him shine!

Brian can be a lot to handle some days. Other days, he's just like any other 3 (almost 4) year old. I have learned a great deal of patience from being his mom. I have learned to take pride in little victories and to celebrate small successes. But when I look back over the course of 6 months, it becomes evident that he has made large strides and huge progress.

Love that boy.

No comments: