Monday, April 1, 2013

All Good Things Must Come to an End

I have tried and tried to write this post and I keep starting over because I am having a hard time finding the right words.  The bottom line is this...Lilah is no longer nursing. 

This has caused mixed emotions for me.  On one hand, it's hard because I am quite certain she will be the last baby I will nurse.  Endings are always hard for me and this is particularly sad.  Up until a few months ago, I have loved every second of nursing my babies. 

However, as I said, I loved it up until a few months ago.  And then I didn't anymore.  Brian stopped when he started walking well at 14 months.  He just got too busy for it.  I assumed Lilah would follow suit, but she did not.  At about 17 or 18 months, I was really just done with it.  I was working out and my supply was waaay down.  I knew she wasn't getting much nutritionally speaking.  I was a human pacifier. A  very sore human pacifier.  I was just done. 

I talked to a friend who used to be a lactation consultant and she helped me devise a plan to end nursing with Lilah.  It worked!  And at 20 months, Lilah is (finally) done nursing!  It's been almost two weeks and she's made it fairly easy on me.  She does ask occasionally (at bedtime), but she doesn't put up a fuss at all. 

My baby is growing up. 

No comments: