Monday, August 24, 2009

Raising a Boy

There are many things no one tells you about becoming a parent. Many things you cannot be prepared for, no matter how much advise is passed down to you, or how many books you read. A friend of my mom's always says, "boys are great." And they are. But boy do they make your heart stop at least once a day. And boy do they give you premature gray hair! Here are some things I wish I would known and truly understood before becoming the mother of a little boy...

* They get hurt. A Lot. Their faces and knees are rarely without injury. So many injuries, in fact, that you often wonder when social services is coming to cart you away.

* They have no fear. Absolutely none. They attempt crazy stunts daily, usually more often really. They stack things and climb. Use kitchen drawers as stairs. Harass animals and laugh hysterically. Play balance beam on the stairs. And much, much more.

* A baby penis is a tricky little thing. Often used as a weapon, you have to be on guard from day one to avoid getting sprayed, or having to clean up spray. When they are very young, you have to "train" it to spray down into the diaper, rather than up. If you don't, many, many night garments get soaked. Even if you do, many, many night garments get soaked. And don't even get me started on what you have to do to keep the circumcised skin from "growing back." Are you kidding me?

* Boys are super sweet. I always knew little girls were sweet, but this baby trumps all. He gives kisses (wet, open mouthed kisses at that) out of nowhere. Just because. He blows kisses too. And I love the way he rubs my arm when he's sleepy. Super sweet.

* They love their mama. After being blessed with my little man, I truly understand the term "mama's boy."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nanna says AMEN, but don't sell little girls short. :}