Wednesday, September 28, 2011

First Day



(Yes, Tory, this post is for you! I promise to respond to your email soon. Love you!!)

Brian's first day of school was September 6th. I was very nervous about how he would do. He has been coming to the preschool since he was about 11 months old and really thinks he owns the place. I was afraid he would cry for me, or at least run away and try to find me when he realized I was gone. (I hid in the church the first couple of days just in case he made a break for my office. Ridiculous, I know, but I left I had to let him get adjusted to the idea.)

But he didn't cry and he didn't run. He did really well. He even stayed dry the first day! (He's really supposed to be completely potty trained, but the teachers are working with us on this given all of the change we've had in our lives the past 3 months. Job perk!) He sat when he was supposed to sit (mostly), he played with the other kids, he participated (some). What more can a mom ask?

He has continued to do well and has improved in his focus each time he has attended class (which is a total of 7 times now). He's not the worst one in the class (YES!!) and the teachers even think he's "cute." He even talks to them. He answered a couple of questions the first week that no one else knew the answer to. This is huge on so many levels for a kid with a speech delay!

The four year old teachers have graciously allowed him to participate in class on the days he's not in school as well. They don't keep him all day long, but when they do, he pretty much does what they ask of him and they enjoy having him around. And it's a huge help to me as I adjust to working with a two month old on my lap! ('Cause you know Miss Lilah doesn't like to be put down. Ever.)

I'm just so glad he's enjoying school. We plan to keep him in preschool for 3 years, so this year is really just about him learning to follow directions better and to love school. Hopefully he will continue to have fun and maybe learn a thing or two as well!

No comments: