Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rash or Reaction?

I've been talking about how sick Brian has been for a couple of weeks, and on Friday I realized, he still wasn't much better. So, I called the doctor and they called in a new antibiotic since the first one didn't seem to be doing the trick. Before I gave him a dose of the new stuff, I stripped him down to avoid getting the medication on his clean clothes and I noticed a rash starting to form on his belly. I figured it was just diaper rash, so I gave him the new medication, and we both went to my room for a nap.

Brian and I slept for almost 3 hours and he was drenched in sweat when he woke up! I figured his fever was breaking when I realized how sweaty he was, so I snuggled up with him and let him keep sleeping. When we finally got up and got to his room for a diaper change, I realized the rash had spread. So, I called for Shawn who noticed it was on his face as well.

Mom, Shawn and I spent some time on the Internet last night trying to decide if the rash was an allergic reaction, or something viral. We decided it was viral, but to be on the safe side, Shawn and I took him back to the doctor this morning. This was the THIRD sick visit in THREE weeks. When my kid gets sick, he apparently goes all out!

Anyway, after consulting a book on rashes, the doctor decided it was viral as well. She said to make sure to point out that he had this reaction the next time he needs an antibiotic and to watch him really closely is amoxicillin is prescribed again. It would not be a huge surprise if he were allergic, since I am also allergic to that drug.

Anyway, my poor child looks just pitiful, although he doesn't seem to care one bit. Check it out!

No comments: