Thursday, April 30, 2009

What I Hate About Today

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be negative, but rain puts me in a bad mood. I know it's good for the grass and flowers, but I don't like getting wet unless it's by choice. I also recognize that it was my fault for wearing flip flops, but it's not very nice of the weather to make me switch back to shoes when I have been wearing flip flops for two weeks. Because of the rain and my choice of footwear, my feet are still drying out from my most recent trip to Children's Northern Kentucky Satellite. And yes, I said most recent...as in we have been there 3 times in two days...and we are going back later. Just as soon as my son pees in a bag. I am not a happy camper.

You are probably wondering about all of the trips to Children's...and about the pee bag. Don't worry I am going to tell you all about these things. And about Shawn's broken cell phone...and my lost cell phone.

Let's start at the beginning...our first trip to Children's yesterday. This was a good trip actually. It was Brian's LAST physical therapy appointment. He has graduated!! One more thing we can check off the list. Thank goodness.

After physical therapy I called Brian's pediatrician's office to complain to the nurse again about his consistent low grade fever. She finally agreed that Brian should be seen and blood work should be drawn. So, at 5, we went to the doctor. Dr. Price looked in Brian's ears, listened to his chest, checked his throat, and there were no issues. After some discussion, Dr. Price agreed to do a CBC and urinalysis on Brian. It turns out that Dr. Price doesn't actually do any of this though...you have to go to Children's. Our second trip of the day.

Brian did pretty well having blood drawn. He fussed and cried a little, but I think less because of the pain and more because he was not allowed to move his arm. Now, the urinalysis. One might wonder, how does a baby pee in a cup? The answer is...they don't. Instead a little bag with adhesive strips is strategically placed to collect the sample. Lovely. Luckily, Brian could not have cared less about this. We decided to wait there to see if he would go. I nursed him, and we waited for probably half an hour. No pee. So we were sent on our way with the cup for the sample, and a baggie attached to my ten month old.

I fully expected pee when we got home. Nope. We ate dinner. No pee. We got ready to go to Verizon to get Shawn a new phone. No pee. But, lucky us, lots and lots of poo!! So much in fact that the little adhesive strips stopped doing their job. I thought we could just clean off the poo and leave the bag on there, but without the adhesive strips, we had no choice but to remove it.

All the way to Verizon I talked about how when we got home I would just let Brian spend some time without his diaper and catch some pee in the cup when he went. Shawn told me I was crazy. I knew it was a crazy idea, but I really didn't want to go back to Children's to get another bag in the morning.

At Verizon we were told it would be $180 to replace Shawn's phone (which has a cracked screen because he dropped it) with a low end model. Are you kidding me? The nice salesperson made it quite clear that if we had purchased insurance on the phone, we would be able to replace it for free. Thank you Mr. Verizon salesperson. That makes things much better.

When we got home, I stripped Brian down, and kept the specimen cup close by. Do you know that in 45 minutes of nakedness, the child never peed? Usually all I have to do is open the diaper and he pees all over me, but he decided to be stubborn. And I had to succumb to the fact that I would be returning to Children's in the morning.

We arrived at Children's around 11 this morning. We had to wait for them to bring us a new bag, and I asked if we could just hang out to see if he would go. They put us in a room and I got the wonderful privilege of putting the adhesive bag on my wriggling, rolling 10 month old. I nursed him. We waited a good 45 minutes. No pee.

I already mentioned it was raining. A lot. So I took Brian out to the main doors thinking maybe the water would encourage something. Nope. It was about this time that I realized my phone was missing. I asked the desk if anyone had turned one in. Yeah right. I took my baby out in to the rain so I could search the car. Not there. By this time I was panicking because like I said, we had just been to Verizon and I knew it would be $180 to replace the damn thing. So, in the rain, we went BACK into Children's to search. Thank goodness we found it in the chair in the waiting room. I checked one more time to see if the bag was full. It was. Of air. GRRRR!

So now my son is peacefully napping with a bag attached to his, well, you know by now. How he is napping with that attached to him is BEYOND me. He must be sleepy. Hopefully he will have peed in the damn bag when we wakes up. Because then, I get to remove the bag, drain the pee into the little cup and drive it BACK to Children's for our FOURTH time in two days. In the rain.

Let's just hope the results of these tests are better than the day I've had.

No comments: