Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Today God Laughed at Me

Some people wonder whether or not God has a sense of humor. I don't. I know he was laughing at me today.

This morning Ruben came in from his morning potty break completely green from our freshly mowed grass. I told Shawn it was no big deal, I would just quarantine him in the kitchen until Brian's nap, and then give him a bath. Unfortunately for Ruben (and Mommy), nap time never came today for Brian. As hard as I tried, he just would not go to sleep. So, I made the decision to give Ruben a bath and let Brian "help." As traumatized as Ruben was by having a 10 month old scream in delight as I tortured him with his least favorite activity on earth, the bath went quite well. Brian was entertained, Ruben was clean, and I was pretty darn proud of myself. I figured it was quite the accomplishment given it wasn't too long ago that I wondered how I would shower each morning with no one here to help me! I was so proud that I emailed Shawn to tell him about the achievement.

Then God laughed at me. I guess I was too proud. Next time I will be more humble. Here's how I knew he was laughing...

Brian and I were downstairs switching the laundry around and I noticed a large wet spot on his jeans. Assuming that he had gotten wet during the Ruben bathing process, I pulled him over to me and started to remove the jeans. Big mistake. The wet spot was not just a wet spot. It was the saturated area where poo had leaked out of his diaper, and through his jeans. We're talking lots and lots of poo. Monumental amount really.

So I ran upstairs with him to the changing table to start the clean up process. Now, Brian doesn't stay still these days when he gets his diaper changed. It's a fight on a good day. Today it was a colossal struggle. By the time I had removed all articles of clothing from my child there was poo everywhere...his two onesies, his sock, his shoe, his jeans, his changing mat, all over his trunk, back and legs. Everywhere.

So, as I'm sure you've guessed, Brian got a bath today too. Ruben did not help :)

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I really think that it'd only be fair if you allowed Reuben to help and laugh like .... well, Reuben is crazy, so it would just be him laughing like himself. Although if your dog starts to laugh too....

good story.

Taryn said...

oh the poo stories are the greatest! can you just imagine the embarrasement you'll be able to unleash when Brian has his first girlfriend (or any girlfriend thereafter) over? I keep those moments so close to my heart...one day...one day... :)

Ms.Y said...

Rueben was just really in the Earth Day spirit!

Anonymous said...

Abosolutely perfect! Welcome to mommyhood! --- We had a similar experience with Cassandra and poo - minus the dog... only then it was Norm who had to deal with the poo everywhere - she was covered in it from head to toe- you know how it is to take off a onezie over the head! --- anyway, funniest part was it happened to Norm!! -- Lisa