Thursday, September 16, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I'm working out again! Really working out at a gym. I'm still in okay shape since I've been walking all summer (not to mention chasing Brian), so I actually was able to do a full cardio and weights workout yesterday-my first day back. And I'm not really THAT sore. Yet.

I have struggled with working out since Brian was born. We quit our gym membership when I decided to stay home for two reasons.

1. We weren't using it.
2. We were trying to trim the budget.

We weren't using it for a lot of reasons. Mostly because Shawn and I like to work out together, and we didn't want to leave Brian in the childcare at the gym. And when we tried working out separately, we realized we didn't have enough time in the day for both of us to get in a work out.

My parents bought us an elliptical machine and we already had some weights and a weight bench, so we made part of the playroom into a work out room. But again, we had the problem of both of us getting in a work out. I could work out during the day except, who would watch Brian? And there wasn't enough time to get both of our work outs in at night. Neither of us sleep if we work out too late at night.

We toyed with getting up even earlier to work out. Yeah right!

So, with Shawn starting grad school (thus getting a free workout membership at the gym there), his problem was solved. NKUs gym is on his way home, so he can just stop and work out then.

But what about me? Walking is great, but I really needed more.

Last week I started calling around and settled on our old stomping grounds, Silverlake. Right now I am using a free 3 day pass just to see how things go.

Brian is older now, so I am a little bit more okay with leaving him in the childcare area. There are a bunch of college girls who work in there, and he likes them. It was very, very hard for me to leave him yesterday even still. BUT he had fun, and I had a BLAST having an hour to concentrate on myself.

So we'll try it again today and tomorrow, and then decide whether or not to join. I feel really strongly about taking care of myself and modeling a work out routine for Brian, so I am trying to convince myself that the benefits out weight my aching heart. We shall see.

No comments: