Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Day in Review

Shawn has this awesome thing that he does with Brian almost every evening. Brian typically throws a fit when it's time for bed because Shawn puts him to bed and not me. This is not a reflection on his feelings for Shawn, but instead an example of him knowing how to play us. Brian rarely falls asleep for me, hence the reason Shawn puts him to bed. Brian knows this, and thus prefers me at bedtime.

At any rate, to get Brian to calm down, Shawn starts reviewing Brian's day with him. He typically knows how the day went because I have told him already. He runs this review in the form of a conversation. He asks Brian questions about the day. Sometimes Brian answers, sometimes he repeats what Shawn says, and sometimes, Shawn answers for him.

It goes a little bit like this:

Shawn: So, Brian, how was your day?

Brian: Silence. Kind of. Tears are calming down at this point.

Shawn: Did you go to school?

Brian: School. (Through the last of the tears.)

Shawn: Did you go to school with mommy? Did you see the kids?

Brian: Mommy. Kids.

Shawn: Did you pick up the boys? Did you see the dogs?

Brian: Dixie. Shavo.

You get the idea. Anyway, I'm always amazed by his patient way of calming Brian down at bedtime. This is a time of day when my patience is long gone. And I know Shawn would rather be playing video games, than rocking a 2 year old to sleep in the dark. Thank goodness for good daddies!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't we have the best boys ever? I love what a beautiful family you make. Brian is so blessed to have such wonderful, loving parents. The two of you are blessed to have the most wonderful baby boy. Your love is what makes him such a happy child. I adore your little family.
xoxo
Aunt Bibber